Crystal Tower: Before Firefighters Arrived, 11-Year-Old Girl Kept People Safe

The most inspiring acts of nobility are those that are done for the benefit of others. Life often puts us in situations where we might have to look at the broader perspective of the society as a whole before our personal interests. Of course, it is natural and not wrong to think of one’s own benefits, but it takes a special ‘big heart’ to work selflessly and have no vested interests. There are two prime examples in the society of such acts and they form the crux of this inspiring story – firemen and children. The innocence of children leads them to only think on the lines of the values they know is good and against what has been taught to them as bad. Similarly, fireman is a less talked about profession but these individuals dedicate their lives to saving people from fire disasters.

On Wednesday morning, August 22, 2018, the Crystal tower in Parel, Mumbai caught fire. The disaster struck on the 12th floor and it was said to be a Level-4 fire. The firemen did their best to rescue as many people as possible. While they could not save everybody, but they still protected many lives. At the same time, a 10-year-old girl showed maturity by using her school lessons to spread the basics of fire safety across the building.

gpxuh8bszaq9ced8ehmipgrgudmbk6ub.jpg

(Picture source - The Hindu)

Maturity of a grown up

Zen Gunratan Sadavarte, a 10-year-old kid, lived on the 16th floor of the building. If we even imagine waking up to our house completely burning, we would start panicking and won’t function normally to use our common sense. But this little kid showed immense composure to deal with the situation. She instructed a group of 15-16 people to cover their nose with a thick wet cloth. This would protect them from suffocating due to the thick smoke that had engulfed the building.

She said that as soon as the smoke entered their house, she opened the windows and rushed to alert her neighbours. Then, she made a purifier with cotton for each person and instructed them to inhale and exhale using that until help came.

Fire fighters bring relief

Fourteen fire engines were sent as soon as the fire department was informed. Unfortunately, the internal fire system was totally out of place. Due to timely intervention of the fire department, it could be confined to the 12th floor only. The fire team put up a 90-metre tall ladder to reach the people struck on the upper floors. Those floors were getting suffocating and heating up due to the fire below. Many people had to bravely climb down the ladder from the top floor, but the firemen insured that it was carried out smoothly.

m7p3ywcasq2vn3pkudqvpac4kbe2emuw.jpg

(Picture source - Mid Day)

It was discovered that the fire was caused by a short circuit in a 12th floor apartment. The firefighting department was lauded by Mayor Vishwanath Mahadeshwar. The doused the fire within 3 hours and took just 3 more hours to finish the cooling operations.

The police have said that the responsible people will be severely punished for such an irresponsible behaviour. The disaster could have been worse, but thanks to a combination of composure and experience, many lives were saved.

#Crisis

Share This Article
681